Tech Counselor Job Summary
Tech Counselors assist with students’ tech needs in the classroom. Students learn programming such as Graphic Design, Coding, Game Design, and more. Tech counselors will use their expertise to help the teacher and keep students engaged. Tech counselors should be kind and patient, but no experience working with children or neurodiverse students is required, although a plus. Opportunities to teach and be involved with more programming possible in the future.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Assist students with tech projects and tasks one-on-one and in small groups.
- Help students help themselves by asking questions, making suggestions, and breaking down instructions into discreet steps.
- Model self-advocacy, a growth mindset, and and social and emotional skills such as self-awareness, social awareness, and responsible decision making.
- Assist the teacher with classroom and resource set up and clean up.
- Engage students socially about their interests, hobbies, passions, and encourage them to engage with each other.
- Help students with wayfinding (to the bathroom, lunch area, classroom, etc.)
- Observe and interact with students during lunchtime.
- Maintain a safe environment for all students.
Qualifications and Skills
- Experience in a selection of digital media disciplines such as Graphic Design, Music Production, Video Editing, Game Design, Coding, or others.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Patient and compassionate attitude.
- Experience working with elementary, middle, high school, and/or college aged learners is a plus.
- Experience working with neurodiverse students or students with disabilities is a plus.
Must be available July 11th - August 12th 2022, Monday - Friday from 9:30am - 5:00pm ET to work in-person in Downtown Brooklyn.
Additional virtual counselor opportunities may be available between June 7th - August 19th, Monday - Friday, between 12:30pm - 6:45pm ET. Please let us know if you are interested in learning about these opportunities as well.
Compensation & Benefits
Counselor Rate: $22 per hour
Candidates with teaching experience may be eligible for the Assistant Teacher Role. Assistant Teachers are responsible for reviewing the curriculum before class and being prepared to teach in the event the teacher is unable to lead the class.
Assistant Teacher Rate: $25 per hour.
Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
As per the requirements listed by NYU where TKU programs are held, all TKU employees are required to be fully vaccinated (including booster vaccination) against COVID-19, to upload proof of their vaccination to NYU's portal, and to have that vaccination documentation accepted by NYU.
TKU believes in the inherent value of diversity and equal opportunity, recognizing that a truly diverse workforce will bring a wider array of perspectives, as well as more innovative and effective solutions, to our programs and organization. TKU is an equal employment opportunity employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, genetic predisposition or carrier status, marital status or status as a Vietnam-Era or special disabled Veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training. TKU will provide reasonable accommodation to otherwise qualified individuals with a disability consistent with the law. What constitutes a reasonable accommodation depends on the circumstances and thus will be addressed by TKU on a case-by-case basis.
Send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please indicate the Job Title of “TKU Counselor” in the subject line.